The European X-Ray Free-Electron Laser Facility GmbH (European XFEL GmbH) is a multi-national non-profit company. It provide X-rays of unique quality for studies in physics, chemistry, the life sciences, materials research and other disciplines. Located in the Hamburg area, Germany, it comprises scientific instruments for a wide range of experimental techniques. European XFEL user operation has started in September 2017 and its science program is now developing. In the now starting operation phase European XFEL strives to combine excellent operation performance, an outstanding science program and the continuous development of state-of-the-art instrumentation for x-ray FEL science applications.
For this challenging and exciting task we are looking for a new
Group Leader Undulator Systems (f/m)
- Lead and supervise the Undulator Systems group of European XFEL, responsible for the operation, maintenance and continued development of the FEL undulators (currently 91 5m segments and 91 intersections). The special implementation includes the hard- and software control of these devices.
- Collaborate with accelerator operation and FEL physics groups on schemes to continuously improve FEL performance and develop new FEL schemes.
- Install and operate a magnetic measurement laboratory with the appropriate tools to measure and tune undulator magnetic field distributions. Regular remeasurements of undulators installed in the tunnels are part of this activity.
- Supervise construction, assembly and magnetic measurements of new undulators.
- Perform R&D activities with the goal to improve operation and performance. Develop visions for new undulator technologies needed for future extensions and upgrades of European XFEL. Build collaborations with partners were suitable.
- Degree in physics, or equivalent, and in-depth understanding in undulator physics and the requirements to FEL undulator operation
- Demonstrated know-how in the design, construction, measurement and operation of insertion devices at accelerator-based light source facilities
- Organization and leadership skills to run a group of about ten physicists, engineers and technicians to operate existing devices and perform development and various extension projects
- Good communication skills; English is the working language, knowledge of German is considered an asset
For additional information, please contact Thomas Tschentscher (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Working place will be Schenefeld in the Hamburg metropolitan area. General information on working in Germany, the Hamburg area and the European XFEL can be found here.
Salary and benefits are similar to those of public service organizations in Germany. In addition European XFEL provides a non-contributory company pension scheme as well as broad relocation benefits. The European XFEL GmbH intends to achieve a widely international staff. Non-German candidates hired from abroad receive an international allowance.
Reference number: S-232
Duration: This appointment is permanent.
Application: Please apply online here and provide a motivation letter next to a CV in English, your list of publications, as well as your work certificates in one single pdf-file.
Handicapped persons will be given preference over other equally qualified applicants. The European XFEL GmbH is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women.