Physical Sciences Group is looking for a scientifically talented and knowledgeable individual with a solid understanding of mathematics and/or physics, with some experience of acoustics, fluid dynamics or a related area, an enthusiasm for both research and real world applications, and an interest in problem solving, to work on a diverse and technically demanding programme of work to deliver acoustic capability in the Underwater Battlespace for UK Defence and its international partners.
The Acoustics Scientist will use their knowledge and experience to work closely with industry, academia, and international partners to design, develop, test and demonstrate mathematical or physical models, signal processing schemes, and algorithms, for passive and active sonar solutions and acoustic signature control solutions, to maintain UK advantage for the detection, classification, localisation, and tracking of mobile and static underwater targets, such as submarines and mines, and unfettered operation in the underwater environment.
We are looking for someone who has;
• Solid understanding of mathematics and/or physics.
• Some experience in acoustics, fluid dynamics, or a related area.
• A strong interest in working on underwater acoustics and related underwater system technologies and a willingness to learn.
• A strong interest in developing their knowledge of Royal Navy platforms, sonar, and technologies.
• Experience of model development.
• Experience of programming in programming language such as Python, Matlab or similar.
• Strong interpersonal skills and willingness to work with external research suppliers in industry and academia and with international partners.
• Self motivated and demonstrated ability to work under own initiative.
In this role, you will have a high impact on MOD decision making for current and future Royal Navy platforms during a time of accelerated development of underwater science and technology. This demands a commitment and willingness to learn new skills and knowledge and a strong desire to apply this learning for the benefit of defence and security. The successful candidate will join a group that is at the forefront of underwater acoustics science and technology and holds a unique position with unparalleled opportunities across a wide range of defence applications to develop world-class acoustics scientists.
We'll provide a great range of benefits including;
• Flexible working
• Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay
• Chartership and accreditation support
• Generous annual leave
• A competitive salary
• Excellent learning and development
• Onsite gyms and restaurants
• Staff discounts for high street and online shopping, restaurants and days out.